“Balance” has so many connotations to it. Today our family was focusing on the balance of light and dark, day and night as the moment of the autumnal equinox approaches. We spent the day doing things to prepare for the winter and celebrate the fall as it stands where we live right now.
A list for you:
- Normal household business (laundry, dishes, eating)
- Lifting for me, which was physically draining. But it gave me a sense of trying to maintain that “balance” that was the theme for the day. Working with my body and my mind is necessary for my life to be balanced.
- Weeding the garden beds, harvesting what was ready in the garden, starting to take down some of the garden structures until next growing season. Giving some of the beds a nice blanket for winter. More for the rest later, when the leaves fall.
- Picking apples from the tree in our back yard. Appreciating the warped shapes and spots on our apples that are the result of the tree being 1) old, and 2) organic in that we don’t treat it with anything. We have no idea the kind of tree, but we love the apples for eating and baking. Yummmmm.
- All of us finding our own bliss today through various activities. Mine, of course, involved crafting. L4 should soon have a new shirt. L3’s pants are in limbo until I find the directions for the pattern, they’re MIA. 😦
Tomorrow the celebration of balance continues because we have just run out of time. We had a lovely fall harvest dinner this evening with our circle of thankfulness. Dessert was just served and our babies should have been in bed awhile ago. But we couldn’t deprive them of the bliss of homemade grape pie and homemade vanilla ice cream. Now it’s time to read our book about fall.
What do you do to celebrate or recognize the advent of fall?