Can you believe it? Me, confessed multi-project knitter, cut up a sweater. It wasn’t, however, handmade. (Was there a collective sigh of relief just now?)
I found this stripey number at GoodWill on a recent trip. Usually I think of thrift store shopping as a win-win for my budget and the environment. This trip I went with the sole objective of finding items to alter in some way, to stretch my creative boundaries. The above sweater was one of the pieces I found to turn into thrifted couture.
:: My Alterations ::
- A cut down the middle, from the bottom to the tip of the V, to transform the pullover into a cardigan
- Cut off the ribbing around the bottom
- Cut several inches off of each sleeve, then a slit on the outer side of each arm
- Took the ribbing that had been cut off and made three concentric circles out of it, placed them one on another and using seed stitch, embroidered the circles to the sweater, covering up the logo I wasn’t ready to advertise.
- Sewed on a lovely little orange button to one side of the new cardi, and cut a buttonhole opposite it. (Note: I need to reinforce the buttonhole.)
Have you altered any clothing to your own delight? If so, share a link so we all can see it, too!