This design has been in my book for a long, long time. Remember L4’s new shirt (and those others referenced in that post)? It inspired me to create a grown-up version. The tie, which while cute on a little child, I thought would be cumbersome and annoying on an adult. I thought a decorative button or two would be better. And I moved the pleat to the side instead of the center. It’s strange, because I generally really like symmetry, but so many things that I sketch lately are asymmetrical. I don’t know what’s come over me!
A little squeal escaped my lips when I tried this on after sewing was complete. Except for the less-than-desirable job I did ironing the pleat out before putting on the neckline, this was just what I wanted it to be.
I used a vintage sheet I had on hand, but oh-so-soon I am excited to say will have these beautiful printed fabrics on hand, along with midnight black and chocolate brown solids, all certified organic, for this design and others. They should be much more drapey/less stiff than the sheeting was. Of course, if someone wanted the sheeting, I still have enough of it left to make at least one more!
The buttons, folks, are stumping me. I can’t decide what I should do for them in the future. Please share your thoughts on buttons with me here!